We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Uzbek pigeons are one of the most beautiful birds that are often raised in captivity. Distinctive features of this species of birds are considered to be excellent flight characteristics and a friendly disposition. They stand out for their original color and flight manner. Thanks to these features, the birds are called fighting or flight-playful. Today these birds are widespread throughout the world.
History of the breed
This breed has an interesting history. On the territory of Uzbekistan, the progenitors of these birds appeared in the eighteenth century. They entered the country from the adjacent territories. A characteristic feature of birds is the presence of fluffy feathers on the limbs.
Breeding works with the use of birds of a new variety began to be carried out in Uzbekistan in 1850. Birds with short beaks have become the focus of scientists' attention. However, their appearance and flight characteristics were imperfect. In this direction, breeders began to work. Even gulls and short-billed turmans were used to select and improve the breed properties.
At the same time, the Uzbek line was formed from old-breed pigeons. From them, the birds got their appearance and the ability to perform combat during flight. It represents the flapping of its wings during a dive from a height.
General description and characteristics
This breed is characterized by fairly clear standards that were established back in 1986. The birds are medium-sized bodies. Its length is 33-37 centimeters. The birds have a dry body with a wide chest that protrudes forward. They are characterized by a low body. At the same time, the neck has an excellent bend. Also, the birds have long wings that close over the tail.
Uzbek pigeons are distinguished by dense feathers. Moreover, their shade depends on the type of birds. The appearance of the head is of no small importance. It should be round and compact. Some bird species also have sideburns and forelocks. The eyes are black or light gray.
Types of Uzbek pigeons
Uzbek pigeons are a fighting type of birds. Pole flight is considered their characteristic feature. Moreover, there are many types of such birds:
- Toothed - this species of birds lacks the characteristic parrying. They are distinguished by smooth feathers on their heads. At the same time, there are no protruding and raised feathers.
- Nose-toed - they are distinguished by thick feathers in the region of the temples and above the beak. Due to this, this part of the head looks hidden in lush plumage. This is a fairly valuable variety of birds.
- Chubate - they have a kind of forelock on the back of their heads. Before shows, poultry farmers comb it. Due to this, the birds acquire a cocky appearance.
- Short-billed - in birds of this species, the length of the beak does not exceed 8 millimeters. There is a special dimensional grid that clearly classifies birds into this category. Pigeons of this species are considered exhibition and decorative. However, there are also demonstration individuals that have managed to preserve their flight and play characteristics.
- Two-lipped - are considered the most famous. Their distinctive feature is their fluffy legs. Also, the birds have 2 tuft at the same time. They are located on the forehead and in the occipital region. Feathered are distinguished by a more powerful body. They are divided into fighting, exhibition, decorative. Pigeons are characterized by different colors of plumage. It is fawn, black, red, white.
- Small-nosed shaggy-legged - are considered the most valuable. They belong to the exhibition category. The key distinction of the breed is the presence of long feathers on the legs. They reach a length of 10 centimeters.
Advantages and disadvantages
comparative undemandingness to nutrition and care;
excellent flight characteristics;
resistance to many pathologies.
the risk of genetic defects;
the need for long training;
the need for a large amount of feed with a high content of vitamins and minerals.
Maintenance and care requirements
The success of pigeon breeding depends on the owners. Under adequate conditions, birds can live for 15-20 years. Moreover, within 10 years they give birth to offspring. This breed is considered to be very peaceful. Therefore, it is permissible to keep many individuals in a free aviary. At the same time, it is important to provide a personal space for each bird. Pigeons are provided with their own place - nests and poles.
In order for the birds to develop normally, it is important to follow these rules:
- Eliminate drafts. It is important to ensure that the floors in the house are not creviceable and covered with sawdust. It is recommended to make the walls strong enough.
- Provide a normal ventilation system.
- Maintain optimal temperature conditions. It should be +20 degrees. If this parameter is exceeded, there is a risk of spreading ticks or other parasites.
- Maintain adequate lighting. Windows or lamps should give a lot of light.
- Disinfect the premises regularly. At the same time, the use of substances harmful to birds is prohibited.
- Arrange nests on a litter. For this, it is permissible to use hay, felt, straw.
It is important to ensure that birds are safe and do not come into contact with wild pigeons or other birds that are spreading pathologies.
Drawing up a diet
Wild pigeons eat cereals, grass, plant seeds. This diet is considered the most suitable for them. Domestic animals require a similar diet. Moreover, they should receive 20-35 grams of feed per day. The following components should be included in the diet:
- 40% barley or barley;
- 30% wheat;
- 10% legumes, corn, sunflower seeds;
- 10% millet;
- 10% greens - this category includes sorrel, cabbage and other foods.
In summer, pigeons eat three times a day, and in winter they have enough food 2 times a day. Feeding depends on the season. It is selected taking into account the availability of feed. In winter they use more vitamins, in summer they use fresh feed. Sometimes pigeons need to be given peas and cottage cheese. They also need fresh vegetables and fruits.
Reproduction and breeding
Pigeons breed in the spring. However, winter breeding is also considered acceptable. The main condition for successful breeding is the choice of a mate. Females do it on their own. If we are talking about show specimens, it is worth picking up a male by artificial means.
Throughout the year, the female is capable of making up to 3 clutches. Each of them should contain 2 eggs. After mating, 7-8 days pass. In this case, the female lays eggs with an interval of 1-2 days. When the first egg appears, it is recommended to remove it in a warm, protected place, replacing it with a dummy. A little later, it should be placed on the second egg.
Zarechny Maxim Valerievich
Agronomist with 12 years of experience. Our best summer cottage expert.
The incubation period is approximately 1 month. It is not recommended to disturb the birds during this period. It is recommended to check the nests in the absence of birds.
The hatched chicks do not need special care. Pigeons take care of the offspring on their own. At the age of 1 month, it is permissible to start feeding pigeons with millet and other crushed grains. To prevent the development of various pathologies, it is recommended to mix antibiotics in the feed. Timely vaccination and control of the presence of parasites is of no small importance.
Pigeons are susceptible to various pathologies. They are infectious and non-infectious. Birds are frequently exposed to salmonellosis and Newcastle disease. The main reasons for the development of diseases include the following:
- unbalanced diet;
- contamination of drinking bowls;
- violation of conditions of detention;
- excessive number of birds in the dovecote.
With a crowded content of birds, there is a risk of infection with worms. Also, in such conditions, the risk of the spread of ticks or insects increases. To avoid serious problems, it is important to identify infected poultry in a timely manner, isolate it from the rest of the livestock and contact your veterinarian.
Uzbek pigeons are considered a very popular breed. Many farmers are engaged in breeding such birds, since they are distinguished by excellent decorative qualities. For birds to grow successfully, they need to provide quality care and balanced nutrition.