We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Domestic vegetable growers know a lot about breeding highly productive varieties. But they do not hesitate to borrow best practices from foreign colleagues. An example is the new potato variety with the exotic name Rodrigo or Rodrigo.
Potatoes "Rodrigo" are classified as early or early ripening varieties. It was bred by German breeders. Since this potato appeared on the Russian market quite recently and is still undergoing a serious test in the domestic expanses, it is too early to judge all its possibilities. Indeed, under different conditions, the same variety manifests itself in different ways. And the climate and soil in Germany are very different from ours. The introduction of foreign experience of this kind is always a risk. But this process is already underway. And something about the Rodrigo potato during several years of its testing at the new "training ground" became known:
- This root crop matures in a half to two and a half months.
- It has a very good taste and belongs to the table varieties.
- His bush is quite tall, spreading, which helps protect against drying out the soil under it.
- Bright green leaves are medium in size.
- It blooms with beautiful red-violet flowers.
- The color of the large oval-shaped tubers is bright pink. They have quite a few small, easily removable eyes. The pulp is light yellow.
The most important and interesting information explaining why this variety of potatoes interested domestic vegetable growers is disclosed in its following characteristics:
- Productivity is high; more than 600 kg of large tubers can be harvested from one hundred square meters. The sizes of each of them are above average indicators - 200 and more grams.
- The starch content in the tuber is quite high - about 15%.
- Safety during transportation is commendable - at least 90%.
- Culling tubers during storage under optimal conditions - no more than 5%.
- Resistance to many specific plant diseases - nematode, scab and cancer infections - is high.
Potato "Rodrigo": growing under the straw
To get the first crop of Rodrigo already in early July, potatoes are germinated long before planting. It is laid out on special racks or in drawers in two or three layers. The temperature in this room should not fall below 15 degrees, it should be regularly ventilated, evenly lit.
A week before planting, potatoes are grown in baskets or boxes with a nutrient mixture, laying out planting material in 3-4 layers. And before that, he is tested to identify diseased specimens. During "growing up", they also water the planting material, combining it with disinfection with copper sulfate (10 g per bucket of water). They also fertilize the tubers with superphosphate and potassium sulfate, adding a spoonful of water to a bucket of water.
Planting tubers prepared in this way can be carried out at the end of April or at the beginning of May, without waiting for the earth to warm up at a ten-centimeter depth of up to 8 degrees.
It is permissible to cut large tubers into several parts. Moreover, in each part of the potato should be at least 2-3 sprouts. The tubers are cut with a sharp and previously disinfected in a solution of manganese knife. Cuts should not damage the shoots. This procedure is carried out a couple of days before planting, so that the places of the cuts are dried out and covered with a crust.
Landing is best done on a string stretched before this. After all, even beds are easier to care for.
The tubers are laid in holes 5 cm deep. The distance between the potatoes should be at least 35 cm, and between the rows - up to 70 cm.
Top dressing with wood ash and humus is best done not before planting, but in autumn. In each hole you need to fill in half a liter of water. Having covered the potatoes with earth, add a layer of mulch on top. If the temperature in the soil is below 10 degrees, then planting for a week or two is covered with a film.
We also suggest that you familiarize yourself with the characteristics of the Hostess potato.
In the process of testing a new variety of potatoes, feedback from those who, without fear of difficulties and risk, introduce new products in their areas - summer residents and gardeners, is very important. In an effort to get a good crop of large and tasty potatoes, some of them have been cultivating the Rodriga variety for several years and know its pros and cons.
They include the merits of the variety:
- Resistance to drought and high temperatures.
- Early ripening. Tubers dug in mid-summer do not disappoint with their size.
- The size of a potato is a particularly valuable characteristic. In each bush, all potatoes are impressive in size.
- Small specimens are not found among them. And some of the collected tubers are striking in their size, reaching a kilogram weight. Summer residents met in one nest 7-9 potatoes of 600-800 grams each. Two of these potatoes are enough for the family to have lunch.
- Stability of the crop, high adaptability of plants to different growing conditions - also cause respect for vegetable growers.
- Taste. Many mention the unusually pleasant taste of these root crops, their friability during cooking.
- High resistance to most potato diseases is noted by everyone who grows Rodrigo in their area.
Some vegetable growers advise picking flowers, not allowing them to bloom, so that all the power of the plant goes into the formation of tubers. Someone advises to plant the tubers with a solution of manganese before planting. Not all summer residents are able to fully preserve the planting material acquired in the fall. Many fear the acquisition of fakes of this potato variety not yet familiar to specialists. Experience will come over the years. The main thing is that “Rodrigo” loudly declared itself in the domestic market and created a good reputation.
Potatoes of various varieties
Coming from Germany, Rodrigo potatoes are an interesting find for our summer residents. Growing huge, beautiful and tasty potatoes is the dream of each of them. Therefore, this variety, fully meeting these requirements, is considered very promising.